Exalted PBP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Basic mechanics

Go down

Basic mechanics Empty Basic mechanics

Post by Admin Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:32 pm

Rolling Dice

Exalted is a dice-poll, d10 based system: you will gather a certain number of dice and roll the with each 7+ counting as a success, each 10 counting as 2 successes. Here are some examples generated from the dice roller we will be using:

5d10 rolled: 9,8,10,8,8 - 6 successes (absurdly good)
7d10 rolled: 6,4,1,6,9,5,8 - 2 successes
3d10 rolled: 2,3,4 - 0 successes

To generate your dice pool for a roll, it will almost always be a combination of one of your 9 Attributes (Strength, Intelligence, Stamina, etc), one of your 25 Abilities (Melee, Awareness, Occult, etc) both rated between • and ••••• (each • represents 1d10) for a base dice pool between 1 and 10 dice. Other bonuses might be added from there: Ability specialties, equipment or situational modifiers, Charms(magic) and stunts (more on that later). There might also be penalties from injuries, environment(lying prone, in deep water, etc), magic, etc.

The number of successes generated determines how well you did: 1 is Standard, 3 is Challenging, 5 is Legendary. Some examples:

Dex + Throw: 1 success - cut a rope with a thrown knife. 3 successes - do the same while falling past the rope. 5 successes - do the same throwing with only the tips of your fingers and a twist of your body as you fall bound and gagged past the rope.

Stunts are a special bonus and are pretty neat. Stunts are rated between one and three dice, a higher bonus awarded depending on how cool the description is. They are mostly used in combat, but they also can sometimes be awarded outside of combat. Here are some examples:

"I hit him with my sword." No stunt bonus as it's just a flat description.
"I leap through the air, grabbing my sword in both hands and bring it down on his head." +1d Stunt bonus as it is a much more dramatic and interesting description of the desired action.
"I run two steps up the wall, then leap off, twisting in midair over his shoulder and slashing my sword through the gap in his armor where the shoulder plates and helmet meet." +2d Stunt bonus as it is not only descriptive, but also makes the environment integral to the action.
"I duck under his guard's spear thrust, then swing my scimitar, decapitating the guard. As his head falls, I spin and kick it at Suliman's head to stagger him, using his guard's falling body as a step to leap onto Suliman's shield, pinning it against his body and driving my scimitar through the eye slits in his great helm, riding the body down to the stairs." +3d Stunt as it not only is extremely descriptive and interactive, but there are also several rolls that must be made within the stunt to pull it off (and it's awesome).

Last edited by Admin on Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

https://exaltedpbp.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Basic mechanics Empty Re: Basic mechanics

Post by Admin Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:15 pm

Combat: Initiative, Actions, Attack, Defense, and Damage

Each combat round starts with each side rolling initiative: 1d10 + Dexterity + weapon speed modifier (if carrying one). Lowest declares actions first, highest
acts first.

Your character has, by default, one action per combat round. You can take more than one action, but must split your action to do so. If you take two actions, the first is at -2, second at -3. If you take three actions, the first is -3, second -4, third -5, etc.

Examples: "I want to attack and dodge: attack is -2, dodge -3" "I want to attack 3 times: first attack -3, second -4, third -5"

If you attack, you roll your dice pool (usually Dexterity + Melee/Brawl/Ranged/Martial Arts). If you get at least one success, you hit.

If you defend, you roll your defense (usually Dexterity + Dodge/Brawl/Melee) with each success subtracting one from your opponent's successes to hit. Reduce it to 0 and they miss.

If you hit, your weapon will have a base damage (usually STR+X) to which you add any extra successes from your attack. For example: "I got two successes to hit with my spear, which is 2L + 3Str + 2 successes is 7 Lethals" or "I got threes successes with my sledgehammer which is 7B + 2Str + 3 Successes is 12 Bashing"

If you get hit, you subtract your Soak rating (armor plus innate from your Stamina) from the damage. For example, if you have 5L soak and take 7L, your opponent would roll 7-5=2 dice of damage. Each success deals you a damage. If your soak is higher than their damage (for example, if you had 14B soak and they dealt 12B damage) they still always roll at least 1 damage dice.

Mortals have various injury levels, that look something like -0□ -1□ □ -2□ □ -4□ Incapacitated□

That means if you take 1 damage, you are hurt, but still have -0 to your rolls. If you took one or two more, you'd have -1, etc. Bashing damage is dangerous, but heals quickly - one per hour. Lethals are far more serious and, for normal mortals, can take days to months to fully heal.

Exalts have Charms that break each of these rules in various ways, which leads to the next section...

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:24 pm

Magic: Charms and Sorcery

Magical creatures have a stat called Essence that determines how much magical power they innately have. This includes Exalts (mortals transformed into demigods), Spirits(little gods of ideas), Elementals(little gods of elements), Ghosts(spirits of the dead), Fair Folk (chaos and dreams given human-like form), and anything else that possesses the ability to willfully manipulate the stuff of reality.

Essence provides motes (think mana) that fuels Charms - special magics unique to the type of magical creature using them. These vary wildly, but are usually fairly instantaneous and immediate - block this, hit that, excel at this, craft that.

Sorcery is much grander, slower, and more powerful. Where most charms effect and amplify something the creature could normally do, sorcery can shape the landscape, summon demons, destroy armies and towns, and generally are charms writ large.

Your average mortal has little chance against even the weakest of Exalts. A powerful mortal warrior or assassin might be able to wound or even kill a non-martial Exalt if they take them by surprise, but even non-combative Exalts or minor spirits usually have a few defensive Charms up their sleeves - and woe-betide the mortal that attacked them if they live.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:57 pm

Willpower and Compassion

Each character has four Virtues and a related stat, Willpower.

The virtues determine the character's personality written in broad strokes.

Low Valor characters are cowardly and shy from conflict and combat. High Valor characters have difficulty turning from fights that are already lost or foes that are beyond them.

Low Compassion characters care little for the well-being of those around them, could watch a child or old woman die in the street and not care. High Compassion characters are constantly distracted by the plights of those around them, even distracting them at times from the greater good.

Low Conviction characters lie, cheat, steal, break their word, and rarely get involved with causes or groups. High conviction characters struggle with white lies, are angered and disgusted with dishonesty, and have difficulty abandoning allies and causes even if they are lost.

Low Temperance characters are emotional, irrational, wild, and unpredictable. High Temperance characters can be stern, strict, rigid, and judgmental.

Willpower represents a characters general strength of will and is a powerful resource, mechanically. Willpower can be spent to gain automatic successes on rolls, override virtues, resist mental domination, and is needed to activate powerful charms and sorcery. It is very difficult to regain, however - only strict adherence to your character's Nature (and succeeding at high-value stunts) can regain Willpower.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:42 pm

What do my • mean?

For attributes and abilities, your • mean the following:

Attributes (Strength, Intelligence, Wits, etc)
Poor: Much below human average
•• Average: Human average
••• Good: Better than average
•••• Exceptional: Most people rarely meet someone at this level
••••• Superb: The upper limits of human capability

Abilities (Melee, Craft, Socialize, etc)
x Untrained - Not even the slightest training in the ability, causing a -2 penalty to any rolls made with it
Novice - You've dabbled in it
•• Practiced - The average professional
••• Competent - Professional respected in their field
•••• Expert - One of the top talents in their field
••••• Master - Legendary in their

Strength Visual Example, • to ••••:

Basic mechanics Ecto-meso-morph-600x447

•••••:

Basic mechanics Bodybuilder

Admin
Admin